I gathered some info from leading social media experts into 10 easy steps to help increase your twitter feed.
10 easy ways to build your twitter following:
1) Good photo, Bio & Profile: Like in many of your other social media outlets, Twitter allows you to provide a little information about yourself. First you need a good photo, a nice portrait that speaks to confidence and approachability. A lot of science has been conducted on the impacts of good portraits and the consumer's level of trust in your product or service. In short if your profile pic is of you and your friends at the bar last Friday night; theres a good chance potential followers will not take you serious and will likely skip on following you. The more professional you look, the more that potential followers & clients will take you serious.
Your Bio, should be a about what you do and a little bit about you personally; but NO SELLING! By providing people a little bit about what makes you tick along with your biz information; potential followers will feel more connected to you and more inclined to follow you. Because we all like to follow our friends; so make people feel like they are in your circle.
2) Promote your Twitter feed: Don't be afraid to put your twitter handle on your business cards, other social media accounts and marketing materials. Let the world know where they can find you.
3) Reciprocate: If they like you, like them; if they follow you follow them & if someone endorses you endorse them.
4) Be Human: Be yourself. More often than not the person behind the business has more followers than the business itself. Don't be afraid to create conversations as well. Your twitter account should just be another form of communication not just another way to sell your product or service.
5) Use Photos: People love to put a face to a name. So when ever possible use high quality imagery to help explain and promote an idea you are sharing. Always make sure that the images are appropriate for your audience.
6) Be on the look out for new features: Social media services are always looking for new ways to make their products better than their competitors. By paying attention you might just be able to grab a hold of a new feature that really takes your brands social media presence to the next level.
7) Set up a Schedule: By setting up a regular schedule to being active in your twitter account; your followers will take notice. Your presence will be more felt and will help to develop a larger following.
8) Review: Take time to review what #Hashtags are working and which ones are not. Figure out what key phrases are helping you to develop reach and a better presence in the twitter-sphere.
9) Be interesting: When watching your favorite TV show and the commercials come on you don't get excited you get frustrated. It's ok to sell from time to time; but you need to bring people into your brand and make them feel like they are apart of something. The idea behind twitter was to create an online text messaging service to bring people together who shared similar interests. By posting tweets that spark peoples interest is the key to being a social media pro. Take a look at your favorite tweeps and take note of why you like to follow them and then take a similar approach in your tweets.
10) Be Consistent: Rome wasn't built in a day; but if they didn't work everyday to build it, the city wouldn't exist. If you want to grow a following it will take time and it will take you being consistent. I see a lot of people who will tweet for a couple weeks and ask why they don't have a million followers. My suggestion is to tweet 5 times a day & everyday that is possible. And if you follow these simple steps you will start to see your fan base grow.